About The University
IUS will serve as a leading higher education institution in the region that provides quality education, community service, as a multi-cultural hub of scholarly activity focused on educational innovation, and the creation and application of knowledge through research and projects.
IUS strives to be an institution of multi-cultural understanding, intellectual growth, and long-term regional and global cooperation, achieved through the enrichment of students by innovative programs, academic and administrative excellence, strategic partnerships with regional and local industries, and purposeful research to promote regional and global well-being.
IUS core values are:
Accountability, Cooperation, Diversity
Excellence, Honesty, Inclusiveness
Integrity, Interdisciplinarity, Internationalization
Openness, Reliability, Responsibility
Quality, Solidarity, Transparency, Visibility
1. Student-Centric Goals
- enrichment of students by academic and administrative excellence
- enrichment of students by innovative programs and education methods
2. Research-Centric Goals
- intellectual growth (academic and scientific excellence)
- purposeful research to promote regional well-being (harmonization of study programs with social and economic needs)
- purposeful research to promote global well-being
- strategic partnerships with local industries (cooperation with the economic organisations and institutions of science and culture)
- strategic partnerships with regional industries
3. Global Citizenship
- long-term regional cooperation
- long-term global cooperation
- promoting global multi-cultural values
- harmonizing with the local community
- advocating for peace and reconciliation
- contribution to the Sarajevo Canton strategic concept: Sarajevo as a regional university center
- education as a factor of economic and social development of Bosnia and Herzegovina
International University of Sarajevo (IUS) was established in 2003, and it is one of the largest educational projects in the Balkan region. At the very beginning, as a relatively young academic institution, IUS created an open, tolerant and international environment for its students, where young people have the opportunity to acquire new and exchange the existing knowledge and experiences with their fellow students and professors, but also with renown guest speakers.
For the past 18 years, this higher education institution has offered good education to local and foreign students in all three study cycles. The University has developed intensively throughout the years, and is among the first in Bosnia and Herzegovina who adopted the European standards of teaching.
During undergraduate and postgraduate studies, students are developing in a quality intellectual atmosphere and are able to choose one of 17 study programs within the 5 faculties, containing programs in different areas ranging from industrial engineering and computer sciences through art and social sciences, pedagogical sciences, law and up to business administration and humanities. Currently at the International University of Sarajevo (IUS) we have around 2000 students studying in all 3 cycles of studies, coming from all continents and more than 45 countries of the world.
In addition to maintaining a high level of education of professionals in their fields of expertise, IUS specially focuses on affirmation of their own work and achievements, involvement in the international university community, and long-term cooperation with related universities achieved through various projects and programs. In doing so, IUS strives to attract and retain outstanding, qualified teachers and administrative staff by providing substantial support in the areas of their operations and enabling them participation in innovative research projects with the aim of continuous improvement of service delivery to students and the community.
When founded, IUS had 14 employees and 68 students. The university currently employs more than 200 full-time members of academic and administrative staff from more than 12 countries of the world. The investment, and all the previous work and effort invested in the idea of IUS, are realized through an open, spacious and meaningful campus, construction of facilities and contemporary university buildings, library, two comfortable student dormitories, a modern research center, as well as continuous development of IUS capacities, including job opportunities and development of BiH society.